- Early American Milestones » Naturalization Act of 1795
The Naturalization Act of 1795
Appearing in Folwell’s “Laws of the U.S,” printed in 1796
Even though America has been and remains today a nation of immigrants, its citizens have viewed immigrants with a certain apprehension. As such, the process of immigration itself has been a problem for the country’s leadership.
During the 1790’s many in the U.S. were concerned that the growth in the number of political refugees, particularly those men and women driven out by the revolution in France, might prove inimical to American liberty.
Alarmed by the influx of so many immigrants, Congress on January 29, 1795 modified the Act of 1790, raising the period of residence from two years to five years before a person could be naturalized.
Read the Original of the Naturalization Act
The text version of the Naturalization Act of 1795 is also available.
- Swiss financial journalist Myret Zaki warns the dollar will collapse. – swissinfo
- Ancient Syrian sculptures, destroyed in World War II, reconstructed from fragments – Telegraph
- Scott of the Antarctic: Hero or Failure? : Discovery News
- Consumers ‘ignorant’ of multinational names behind ethical brands | Environment | guardian.co.uk
- Thomas Edison Film From Moving Train Shows Subway System Only Marginally Improved In Past 111 Years (VIDEO)
- Neil Diamond interview – Telegraph
- Adolf Hitler exhibition in Germany: Hitler and the Germans at the German Historical Museum in Berlin – Telegraph
TagsAdolf Hitler Afghanistan Al Qaeda Arab American Action Network arlington armed forces Art artifacts boat buddhist art Capital punishment cave china classic rock Claude Monet Climate change Crime Death Penalty Energy Environment Federal Bureau of Investigation flying Freedom Road Socialist Organization friends garden Germany gulf health History holiday Inside Terrorism islam israel korea london maya Mein Kampf Metro Areas military Monet Nazi Nazism negotiations New-York Historical Society New York City Nuclear Nuclear power Nuclear reactor technology Painting Palestinian territories patriots Peru plane Politics Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine Prison Provisional Irish Republican Army religion Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia Salem Witch Trials science self improvement shipwreck Slavery social Taliban Technology Terrorism treasure tuskegee United States visitors Warfare and Conflict well being wwll