NEW YORK – Queen Elizabeth II placed a wreath of flowers at a site of the Sept. 11 attacks Tuesday and chatted with victims’ families and first responders, minutes after using her first visit to New York in more than three decades to praise the U.N. for promoting peace and justice.
The 84-year-old British monarch braved 100-degree heat in a 15-minute visit to the World Trade Center site after challenging the United Nations to spearhead an international response to global dangers.
Near the footprint of the trade center’s south tower, she placed a wreath of New York-grown red peonies, roses, lilies and black-eyed Susans on a wooden riser at the site.
Dressed in a two-piece white, blue and beige print dress with a ruffled hem and a matching brimmed champagne-colored silk hat with flowers, she smiled and nodded at a phalanx of dignitaries, relatives of Sept. 11 victims and first responders gathered to meet her.
- Swiss financial journalist Myret Zaki warns the dollar will collapse. – swissinfo
- Ancient Syrian sculptures, destroyed in World War II, reconstructed from fragments – Telegraph
- Scott of the Antarctic: Hero or Failure? : Discovery News
- Consumers ‘ignorant’ of multinational names behind ethical brands | Environment | guardian.co.uk
- Thomas Edison Film From Moving Train Shows Subway System Only Marginally Improved In Past 111 Years (VIDEO)
- Neil Diamond interview – Telegraph
- Adolf Hitler exhibition in Germany: Hitler and the Germans at the German Historical Museum in Berlin – Telegraph
TagsAdolf Hitler Afghanistan Al Qaeda Arab American Action Network arlington armed forces Art artifacts boat buddhist art Capital punishment cave china classic rock Claude Monet Climate change Crime Death Penalty Energy Environment Federal Bureau of Investigation flying Freedom Road Socialist Organization friends garden Germany gulf health History holiday Inside Terrorism islam israel korea london maya Mein Kampf Metro Areas military Monet Nazi Nazism negotiations New-York Historical Society New York City Nuclear Nuclear power Nuclear reactor technology Painting Palestinian territories patriots Peru plane Politics Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine Prison Provisional Irish Republican Army religion Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia Salem Witch Trials science self improvement shipwreck Slavery social Taliban Technology Terrorism treasure tuskegee United States visitors Warfare and Conflict well being wwll