Speaker Pelosi: Stand Up for Muslim Women, Not Islamists Like Rauf!An open letter from the founder and president of the Alliance of Iranian Women.September 5, 2010 – by Manda Zand Ervin
Honorable Speaker Pelosi:
I heard you say that the people who oppose the construction of the Ground Zero mosque should be investigated.
Investigate me. I oppose the construction of that mosque.
This mosque, built in such close proximity to Ground Zero, is intended to send a message to America and another message to the Muslims who are gravitating toward human rights laws and secularism. We are sure that this mosque will cause nothing but division and justified ill will towards Muslims in this country.
I came to America as a political refugee, fleeing from the Islamic rule in Iran that subsumed a secular, woman-respecting government. As a human, woman, and a mother, I could not live under nor subject my daughter to such brutal, barbarian tyranny. What I see now occurring in my new home, America, is Islamists forcing their policies in bits and pieces, here and there. It is terribly disconcerting, not only to me but to all Iranian Americans and the large majority of Muslims who came to America to live in peace, freedom, and prosperity.
Madam Speaker: The Islamists are using the laws of this greatest of democracies to implement their ideology in any way they can — whether by propaganda, intimidation, the misuse of political correctness or anti-discrimination policies, or the minority status that this society puts at their disposal. Plus the most powerful of all tools, the money — the limitless petrodollars coming from foreign Islamist dictators with anti-democratic agendas.
Because the American Constitution calls for the separation of religion and government, the Justice Department, the ACLU, and others constantly minimize the influence Christianity and Judaism have on American secular society. What we, American Muslims, wonder: why is there an exception for Islam from the rules applied to others, even though the Islamic human rights record is deeply problematic and contrary to all the civil rights and individual rights laws of this great republic?
Why is Islam given a pass that is not given to Christianity or Judaism?
Madam Speaker: You are a powerful woman in the world, but you don’t care much about the human rights of hundreds of millions of women and children who need the support of the people like you to gain their individual freedom. You claim to be for the women’s right to choose, but then you ignore the right of women and children to have human dignity!
Manda Zand Ervin is the founder and the president of the Alliance of Iranian women. She was the U.S. delegate to the UN Commission on the Status of Women in 2008.
- (no title)
- Swiss financial journalist Myret Zaki warns the dollar will collapse. – swissinfo
- Ancient Syrian sculptures, destroyed in World War II, reconstructed from fragments – Telegraph
- Scott of the Antarctic: Hero or Failure? : Discovery News
- Consumers ‘ignorant’ of multinational names behind ethical brands | Environment | guardian.co.uk
- Thomas Edison Film From Moving Train Shows Subway System Only Marginally Improved In Past 111 Years (VIDEO)
- Neil Diamond interview – Telegraph
- Adolf Hitler exhibition in Germany: Hitler and the Germans at the German Historical Museum in Berlin – Telegraph
- Adolf Hitler
- Al Qaeda
- Arab American Action Network
- armed forces
- buddhist art
- Capital punishment
- classic rock
- Claude Monet
- Climate change
- Death Penalty
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Freedom Road Socialist Organization
- Inside Terrorism
- Mein Kampf
- Metro Areas
- New-York Historical Society
- New York City
- Nuclear power
- Nuclear reactor technology
- Palestinian territories
- Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine
- Provisional Irish Republican Army
- Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia
- Salem Witch Trials
- self improvement
- United States
- Warfare and Conflict
- well being